We hit 13 weeks, last week of the first trimester. Baby is now 3 inches long and has fingerprints. BabyCenter compares baby's size to a shrimp, to which Jimi replied:
At 13 weeks my Baby is the size of a large shrimp, So sayeth the BabyCenter.com!
Yeeech, whomever comes up with these comparatives needs to try harder. Nobody wants to associate shellfish with their wife's Baby machine, fun factory or any of the local geography hidden by bikini bottoms.
BLEH! and again i say, fllllpppttt. You wanna get Daddies on board?
- My Lil buddy is now the size of a .50 round.
- My child is roughly the size of 3/4 inch deep well socket.
- My princess has grown to be about the same size as one of her mommy's lip stick tubes. (yeah, we know what they look like.)
- Lil' Jedi's size is now comparative to a Vintage Kenner r2d2. (Star Wars nerds have kids too.)
- Kid's the size of one o them Bic lighters. (and so do rednecks.)
- (For the foodies) Your popover has grown to the size of a medium sized jalapeno.
- (And the Hippies) Tiny Garcia's totally the size of a 2oh fatty.
- (You have to be the most hipster of the hip to get this one... or a bike repair specialist) Wheelz is about the size of a star-fangled nut. (All the hipsters that dig this are now thinking, "Man, i ain't no Hipster. I just like my bike... I hate hipsters.")
They say I will start feeling him/her kick any day now. Thursday was my second doctor appointment - heartbeat was in the 160s and they said my labs looked good. Big sigh of relief hearing that heartbeat on the doppler - she couldn't find it at first and I was starting to panic a little, "I'm starting to freak out just a little bit, Doc," answered with "No need to freak out, sometimes they just hide." And then there it was, behind an artery thumping with my own heavy loud rhythm, beating away with a fast low "whomp whomp whomp whomp". Baby's fine. Baby's great. Nat's happy.
We go back on September 25th for the anatomy scan. We're going to learn the sex, if baby cooperates, but I don't know yet if we'll find out in the doctor's office or if we'll have them write it down for us so we can do some sort of special reveal later. Is the new gender reveal trend lame, or adorable and sweet? I can't decide, but I'm leaning toward adorable and sweet. I like the idea of there being a picture of our faces the moment we learn which we're having. I like the idea of being surrounded by our family and them learning along with us. But is it as big a deal to anyone but us? Will anyone else even care beyond "Oh, that's nice"? I'm bad about forgetting that the world doesn't revolve around me - I don't want to get so swept up that I think everyone's going to treat my child like a new gravitational force.
We're getting married. I'm going to write that again. WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!!!! In about a month, either just before or while we're on vacation. We're just going to run off and do it. We talked about having it here, at home, and renting a tent for the front yard, catering, having a nice casual gathering where our family and friends could celebrate with us, but we have a lot of money to spend in the next 6 months, and the cost of a wedding, even a small casual at-home wedding, falls into the "It'd be nice, but there are more important things" category. Wedding bands, vacation, a couch, new rugs to cover our newly-revealed hardwood floors - those are all in the "I want this more than a big one-day party" category. Plus, I think the idea of running away together, just the two of us, is kinda romantic. (And I started to have a minor panic attack when we were throwing around party ideas - there's a reason that last time I got married at a plans-it-all-for-you chapel and turned the entire reception over to my Mother-In-Law.)
So yeah, an eventful week. I feel like all the awesome in the world is aligning to smile on me - what I've done to deserve this much happy, I don't know, but I'm going to soak it up and enjoy the hell out of it.